Friday, June 11, 2010

Don't get anything on that shirt!

We eat spaghetti at least once, maybe twice, sometimes three times per week. Why? It is cheap. It is filling. And, when there is spaghetti there will be left overs (perfect for a family of three-, okay one of us is only 6 months old and doesn't even eat "real" food yet-who consumes a ridiculous amount of food per week).

I made spaghetti for dinner the other night.

The other night Mark had come home after practice to relax for about 45 minutes before he headed back out the door for a speaking engagement. Mark talks at the Auburn Swim Camp every summer and loves it. As he was rushing through the backdoor I noticed that he had changed out of the old raggedy t-shirt that he had worn to practice and into a crisp, clean, white polo shirt that, very obviously, showcased the Olympic rings-Ralph Lauren designed the 2008 Olympic games opening and closing ceremonies attire for the U.S. and each and every piece of clothing and accessory that Mark received as a member of the U.S. team was fabulous.

As Mark rushed out the door I yelled, "Don't get anything on that shirt..."

I cannot count how many special shirts, jackets and other "official" gear we have ruined with a fork full of spaghetti, a slippery buffalo wing or a splash of diet coke. Needless to say, I was fearful for that poor, unassuming, white shirt as I stirred the tomato sauce to a perfect simmer.

When Mark returned home from his speaking engagement-which he seemed proud of-I was waiting with a bowl full of spaghetti for him. I looked at him, then down at his shirt, then back to him. Before I said anything, Mark said, "Don't worry... I'll change before I eat."

The white Olympic polo survived and is now, once again, hung nicely at the back of our closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment