Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My hero, SKYPE

A lot of our lives have played out over Skype.

As I have said before, Mark and I have lived apart for a few months here and there due to work, training, school, etc. Not only have we spent a few months apart here and there, but often times Mark travels for weeks at a time for meets. For example, this summer Mark will leave for Nationals in Irvine, CA on July 29. He will compete August 3-8 at the USA Swimming Nationals. If he is one of the top two in either of his events (100m and 200m breaststroke) he will stay in California with the rest of the National team (yes, Michael Phelps will probably be there) until the Pan Pacific Games starts on August 18th. The Pan Pacific Games will run through August 21 and Mark will return on August 22.

I am sure you are doing the math in your head, but if you are struggling I will help... this summer (which is even considered an "off" summer) Mark will potentially be away for more than three weeks in August (not to mention the 10 days that he is away now. Mark's away days certainly add up.

Furthermore, Mark is not good at talking on the phone. You didn't know that talking on the phone was a skill? Well it is, and it is one of the few skills Mark is not good at. This used to create issues. I am a chatterbox (if you couldn't tell), but I got sick of talking at Mark while he sat on the other end of the line... silent.

So, needless to say, Skype has become a dear friend of the Gangloff family. Even when Mark is away for only a few days at a time, we Skype.

This morning I put Annabelle on the floor in front of the computer while video calling with Mark. He just watched her play.

Yes, traveling is difficult (on all of us... even Daisy, the dog), but Skype makes it a million times easier-it makes a demanding travel schedule manageable.

So, I'll repeat myself. A lot of our lives have played out over Skype.

Have I told you about the time we found out that I was pregnant with Annabelle, yet? Let's just say that Skype was part of that moment, too.

Do you use Skype, yet? If not, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment